Brazilian Aerospace Museum, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil.
October 5th, 2013.
is a walkaround of one of the Douglas A-20K used by Brazilian Air
Force (BAF) during 1940-50's. The A-20K is the glass nose
reconnaissance version of the A-20J Havoc, equipped with better
engines. The type was the last in the Havoc line, with the production
ending by late 1944.
Loosely quoting Rudnei Cunhas's wonderful BAF's page, "...the
BAF received a total of 30 A-20K under lend-and-lease agreement, as
well as a Boston III to be used in ground instructional role. These
aircraft served from 1944 until 1955, initially with the 1st Light
Bombing Group, based at Canoas, and the 2nd Light Bombing Group based
at Cumbica. Both units merged to form the 1st Squadron / 10th
Aviation Group in 1947. Brazilian A-20Ks were serialled 6061 to 6090,
with the Boston III receiving serial 6091".
their final years, BAF A-20Ks were modified for photographic
reconnaissance and re-designated R-20. In 1955, and
in-flight accident with R-20 6062 forced the deactivation of the
last four operational Havocs in Brazil.